Randolph was first settled March 31, 1802 by Bela Hubbard and Salmon Ward. Both men were from Middletown, Connecticut and after a three year stay in Jefferson County, N.Y. the men proceeded west and settled in Randolph. Their first night was spent under an oak tree one half mile west of the center of town. After the men built a cabin Salmon Ward became ill and upon his recovery he became discouraged and returned east. He later returned three times with other settlers. On his fourth trip he disappeared and was never heard from. During this time Bela Hubbard remained and built the foundation for the town of Randolph.